Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Helper Monkeys!

This is a topic that has been near and dear to my heart for a long time. Everyone knows that I am a helper monkey - but there is an organization called Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled



Helping Hands is a national non-profit organization that offers independence and hope to individuals with severe disabilities by training helper monkeys and placing them with such individuals. For over 30 years this organization has been doing great work by both giving jobs to monkeys and helping out humans who really need the help!

Right now they concentrate on training and placing monkeys, but in the next coming years they hope to extend their programs to developing permanent homes for retired monkeys - providing them the best care and medical support. This is a full program for working monkeys - from training, to placement, and finally to retirement.

As a helper monkey I know how important it is to help people, and to get proper training for working with humans. Recently I have been observing them with a family that doesn't need my help as much as others, but they have enabled me to learn more about humans, and how to spread my message to the rest of the world!

This is a cause very near and dear to my heart - so if you have some spare monies around, please do all that you can!


For ways to support the organization and helper monkeys by multiple means (donations, time, their store, etc.) : http://www.monkeyhelpers.org/supportus/

They are even having a special event celebrating their 30th Anniversary - by buying a ticket to the event you can support them as well - http://www.monkeyhelpers.org/minisite/
Recently there have been many stories about Helping Hands:

One about the first veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan wars to receive a monkey from Helping Hands (but the group hopes he will not be the last)http://www.militarytimes.com/offduty/health/offduty_monkeyhelpers_072809/

A news story about Helping Hands (from Germany): http://www.rtl.de/rtlaktuell/rtl_aktuell_videoplayer.php?article=29234&p

And another news story from a FOX61 Connecticut. This one is excellent since they want to promote awareness of Helper Monkeys to individuals in Connecticut that may need it and they also try to let everyone know the difference between monkeys and chimps -to help alleviate any fears since the Travis incident that happened in Connecticut:

So any help that you could provide to my fellow Helper Monkeys would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-MoJo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the bath pic is so cute, but do monkeys like baths?

also, p.s., MoJo, Lara and Lucy got coverage in the Drudge Report. everybody loves them!

MoJo said...

Yes monkeys enjoy the occasional bath (we don't do it all the time - I'm sure I have a picture somewhere of me in a bath). I also have grown to enjoy a shower - but its not as nice since I'm so short.

I couldn't find the story on the Drudge Report, but I did find another - Stay tuned!