Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bubbles (and Michael Jackson)



I really can't go far on the TV or the Internets without seeing something about this Michael Jackson guy. I didn't really know much about him until he died, but it turns out I did know his music! And it was pretty good - fun and upbeat - and crazy dance moves! I only discovered the dance moves after searching on the YouTube.




One thing I found out is that he was a friend to monkeys and chimps! He actually had one chimp (named Bubbles) that he took care of. So it is sad that we lost a friend to the primate community with Mr. Jackson's death. But I'm pleased to report that Bubbles is doing well and is living in Florida in the Center for Great Apes! That sounds pretty awesome to me!


"The Center for Great Apes’ mission is to provide a permanent sanctuary for orangutans and chimpanzees who have been retired from the entertainment industry, from research, or who are no longer wanted as pets. The Center provides care with dignity in a safe, healthy, and enriching environment for great apes in need of lifetime care."


Bubbles is currently the "Featured Resident", and you can currently support him and other chimps and orangutans directly on the website: https://www.centerforgreatapes.org/make-a-donation.aspx


Bubbles wasn't the only primate that Mr. Jackson took care of and was friends with, though he was the most famous (one artists even made statues of him). Though I think that I can do the Moonwalk better than him!


For more information on this story:




No comments: